23 Jul 2009

first date mania

Catching up with old friends is often like going on first dates.

Side note: I am not very knowledgable about first dates. My last first date was 4 years ago and was at an underage party where my date [also the host] drank copious amounts of tequilla, threw up and then fell in said throw up.

There is always that awkward moment where someone has to decide where you should go and what you should do. You haven't hung out in so long you don't want to take them to your favourite place because they might not like it. What if they have become vegetarians and never told you and you take them to a steak house. Friendship first date DISASTER!

Then there is those silent moments that you never seem to have with friends you see all the time. So you fill them with verbal diarrhea that probably shouldn't be shared with people you haven't had a real life conversation with for 3 months.

Of course, if its going badly, you will drink. Don't try to deny it. It will happen.

Side note: not known from personal experience. with my friends, we just drink anyway.


And finally, like all first dates there is that awkward goodbye where you just quite don't know how to act. Do you give them a hug? Should you promise to call? You're always trying to gauge whether they actually had a good time or are they just saying that. Will they call? I hope I didn't hog the conversation. I wonder if they think I'm a pig for ordering desert. It's rather stressful.


No wonder people only say they should catch up. We'd all be having panic attacks if we ACTUALLY had to catch up.


further side note: wondering if friends think i'm a pig for ordering desert is also unknown. all my friends order desert. we never say no.

No comments: