2 Feb 2010

getting down with the chi

I have recently been trying to get back into a relatively good fitness routine. I am not entirely happy with my body (but hey who is?) but I have decided not to focus on losing weight or working on one particular part of my body. Rather I have decided that, three years on from my still embarrassing broken collarbone, I need to build up my core strength again.

I have ignored offers from my good friend Kurtle the Turtle (disclaimer: he dislikes this nickname severely), a fitness FREAK and budding nutritionist, to "strengthen my core" for about 8 months now. However, as I have started a new office job where I find myself sitting on my ass for most of my day (expect 2 weeks prior to an event, then its see how fast Erin can run down the hall in heels time) I decided its about damn time I got my strength back up.

Another reason is slightly stranger, but most of my reasonings are. Manfriend and I play a game where we one of us lies on top of the other (stay with me here, its not perverted) and completely puts all of our dead weight onto the other. The person on the bottom then has to try and get the other off them any ways possible (aside from tickling/the other person moving for you). I fail at this game. Manfriend is not a large boy, he is tall but very slim. I should be able to move him, but I cannot summon the strength to do so.

Enter Yoga/body balance/netball/pt sessions every week.

Aren't I an amazingly awesome, holistically centered person?

That's what I thought, until....

During the token "relaxation and meditation" session of my Body Balance Class as they filled us with soothing music and words about my calming space I felt a feeling of peace wash over me. Quickly followed by a feeling of immense pride that I was capable of summoning peace by lying on the floor after sweating profusely for an hour.

As I lay still in peace my mind was not blank like my instructor told me it should be. Instead I found myself thinking about what I would wear to work tomorrow. I was mentally dressing myself like that computer program Cher had in Clueless.

Thats when I realised I was much to superficial to be holistic.

Damn, another fail.

No comments: